in Aerospace

Gatwick's Airport Community App wins 'Business IT Innovation of the Year'

Posted 21 November 2017 · Add Comment

Gatwick's Airport Community App won 'Business IT Innovation of the Year' at the prestigious BCS - Chartered Institute for IT – awards, which are widely seen as the benchmark for outstanding performance throughout the UK IT industry.

The Airport Community App also picked up two separate Digital Entrepreneur Awards earlier in the month, and won Best Corporate App and the Digital Impact awards.

The BCS judged Gatwick’s Airport Community App to have delivered the most measurable benefit for its business users and customers out of ten shortlisted finalists at the ceremony on Wednesday 15 November at Battersea Park Events Area.



Gatwick devised the Community App concept with AirportLabs and it was launched at the airport last year.  The app gives the 10,000-strong workforce that currently use it easy access to real time information about airport issues on their smart phone.  Gatwick staff make up 25% of current users at the airport, with the remaining 75% working for other entities on the airport campus including airlines, ground handlers, retailers, tenants, police and immigration services. 

The app also picked up ‘Best use of Mobile Technology’ and ‘Most Innovative use of Digital Technology’ for the South UK at this year’s Digital Entrepreneur Awards - the only ones that recognise entrepreneurial business practices that achieve online business excellence in the UK.

The awards come just weeks after Gatwick won one of the coveted ‘Special Awards’ – Digital In-house Team of the Year – at the Digital Impact Awards, with the ‘Community App’ also winning Best Corporate App.

Cathal Corcoran, Chief Information Officer, Gatwick Airport, said: “I would like to congratulate the airport’s talented and hardworking digital team for making these awards a reality.

“The Airport Community app has had a transformational impact across the airport campus, with the digital platform bringing all entities operating on the campus together, breaking down information silos and flattening hierarchy when it comes to real time data sharing and decision making. More than 200 companies and 10,000 users are now using the app at Gatwick.

“We worked closely with AirportLabs to develop this initiative as a multi-airport app and it is being used or trailed at 10 airports across the world already, creating a new industry trend.”

Paul Fletcher, Group Chief Executive Officer of BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT said: “Congratulations to all the winners and those who were highly commended in the UK IT Industry 2017 Awards. They perfectly demonstrate how the UK can and does make the most of its talent, recognising the highest levels of excellence across today’s IT sector. The standard of applications we received this year was outstanding, showcasing some of the brightest and best in our industry.”

Ligiu A. Uiorean, Director, AirportLabs, said: "It was a great opportunity to have Gatwick as the first adopter of the Airport Community App and a great challenge to improve on what is already one of the world's most efficient single runway operations. AirportLabs is an R&D company focused on making the aviation more efficient and we're always in the search for airport and airline partners to spearhead the adoption of new technologies."

 

* required field

Post a comment

Other Stories
Advertisement
Latest News

Restrata appoints new head of consultancy

Security, safety and emergency response solutions provider, Restrata, has appointed a new head of consultancy to lead the organisation’s continued growth and international expansion.

JJ Churchill reduces machining ops by half

Aerospace engineering firm JJ Churchill today announced that it has reduced its tooling costs by 5% with a 50% reduction in the number of machining operations on a specific critical part, achieved with Blue Photon technology which is

Ultra Long Range A350 XWB completes first flight

The Ultra Long Range version of the A350 XWB, MSN 216, has successfully completed its first flight.

Defence Secretary announces £80m Guardian to protect the skies

The Ministry of Defence (MoD) will invest up to £80 million in a new computer system to boost the RAF’s speed and accuracy in protecting the skies, Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson has announced.

SEA supplying TLS to navies in South East Asia

Cohort company SEA is supplying its Torpedo Launcher Systems (TLS) to three South East Asian navies that have signed up for a solution based on technology originally developed for the UK Royal Navy.

Bristol Airport and SWRnewstar win Waste2Zero award

SWRnewstar has won the Waste2Zero Best Waste Project Communication & Stakeholder Engagement Award in partnership with its customer Bristol Airport.

ODU SK191217191218
See us at
SMI HelicopterTBT1402240518SMI FAVWSBT1402060618FIL18 BT111017220718