in Aerospace

Birmingham Airport records two years of consecutive monthly passenger growth

Posted 15 March 2017 · Add Comment

Birmingham Airport has recorded two years of continuous record monthly passenger growth after February became its busiest on record.



During the month of February, the airport handled 807,733 passengers – 83,000 more than the same month in 2016 and an 11.5% increase.

Demand increased on both long and short haul services with very significant growth again recorded on long-haul flights - up by a healthy 21Birmingham Airport Celebrates Two Years of Consecutive Monthly Record Passenger Growth

Birmingham Airport has recorded two years of continuous record monthly passenger growth after February became its busiest on record for the Midlands’ biggest airport.

During the month of February, the airport handled 807,733 passengers – 83,000 more than the same month in 2016 and an 11.5% increase.

Demand increased on both long and short haul services with very significant growth again recorded on long-haul flights - up by a healthy 21% compared to the same month last year. The number of passengers taking short haul flights grew by more than 9% year-on-year.

Announcing the news at MIPIM 2017, Paul Kehoe, Chief Executive Officer at Birmingham Airport, said: “To record a whole two years of monthly back-to-back record breaking figures is an excellent achievement and makes Birmingham one of the UK’s fastest growing airports.

“This unprecedented demand, particularly to long haul destinations, goes hand-in-hand with the booming regional economy and means this airport is becoming increasingly attractive for airlines to serve the Midlands market.

“Only last month we broke the news that one of the world’s most recognisable brands, British Airways, will be returning to Birmingham Airport from this summer, becoming the tenth new airline in the last year to launch.

“Our focus now is on completing the £100m package of development works for the summer season to prepare the operation for our busiest period ever, and later this year we will consult on our Master Plan to scope out how the current site can be maximised and the benefits of HS2 realised.”

Scheduled traffic in February accounted for 91% of the total, with charter passengers making up the remaining 9%.

Scheduled traffic overall grew by 11.7%, with significant year-on-year growth to Madrid (+292.5%), Cape Verde (+103.2%), Berlin (+39.1%), Salzburg (+34.8%) and Budapest (+30.4%). 
 
Charter traffic experienced 7.5% growth with significant expansion on services to Hurghada (+169.4%), Malaga (+31.7%), Verona (+21.9%) and Alicante (+14.7%).
 

* required field

Post a comment

Other Stories
Advertisement
Latest News

BMT develops visualisation tool for hazardous scene responders

BMT has developed a mobile application to help responders safely assess hazardous situations. The system processes data captured by drones into real-time 2D and 3D maps of the scene, enabling responders to make fast, informed

AD&S teams with 3D Systems to deliver first flight-worthy metal printed RF filter

Airbus Defence and Space (AD&S) has partnered with 3D Systems to deliver the first flight-worthy metal printed RF filter.

Aggregate paves the way for resurfacing Doncaster Airport runway

Aggregate Industries is to commence work on the runway at Doncaster Airport this year, following its recent involvement in resurfacing of East Midlands Airport's runway.

CAA selects ADS-B for improving airspace safety

The UK Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) today confirmed that ADS-B 'in/out' using 1090MHz is its preferred national system to improve electronic conspicuity for general aviation - ideally to be used through transponders.

AEB and CILT(UK) organise complimentary compliance conference

To help British trader to become Brexit-proof before 2019, global trade and supply chain experts in manufacturing and trade businesses are being invited to attend a free conference in Warwick on 11th October 2017, organised by AEB

DIT DSO organising UK capabiity showcase at DSEI

The Department for International Trade's Defence and Security Organisation (DIT DSO) Showcase will present current expeditionary and security capabilities with participation from 36 companies at this year's DSEI event,

Aviation Africa SK18418
See us at
SMI MilSat BT2907101117DSEI LB0911150917SMI FAV BT1007161117SMI AirMissBT0305251017SMI12DE BT203280917SMIUAV BT1005280917Advanced Engineering BT1007021117Aviation Africa BT18418